Ad by google

Monday 25 May 2020

Vella Poori/வெள்ளை பூரி/ White Poori

       Vella poori literally translated in English as white poori is one of the most common snack made among south Indian Tamil Jains . This dish brings back fond memories of my childhood . Back in those days, when I was just 6 or 7 years old, we used to go to our grandparents village to spend summer vacation.

         My grandfather's mom (Great grandmother) is very fond of me and am her favorite. The moment I came in , she will ask me what I would like to eat the most. My immediate reply , will be of only two things all the time. Poli (Sweet chappathi stuffed with channa dal and jaggery) and Vella poori. Immediately, She will make arrangements and prepare for the dish. During those days, there weren't any tabletop grinder or mixie. She uses manual stone wet grinder and make the dough for vella poori and prepare it. The taste is heavenly and absolutely cannot resist it. My dad always says that, vella poori taste is more tied to the location it is made. Meaning that, in different parts of Tamilnadu, we get different variety of par boiled rice. Near my father's hometown, their parboiled rice have some intrinsic taste , and the vella puris made out of it will be very delicious. 

        Today, when I asked my dad and my grandmother (My dad's mom) for the recipe  to post in the blog, they immediately made vella poori and took pictures,videos and shared the recipe with me. Am sharing it here, So you can try and see . 

Recipe Courtsey: Thanks to my grandmother for the authentic recipe, Dad for taking pictures and videos, Padma amma for cooking and demonstrating it . :) 


Yields : 15 to 16 no.s of poori

INGREDIENTS:

Parboiled Rice or Idly Rice - 1 1/4 cup
Toor Dal - 1/4 cup
Peanuts (not roasted) - a handful
Dry red chilli - 3 no.s
Salt - As required
Oil- For deep frying

METHOD:

1. Take rice and wash in running water for 2 to 3 times. Soak it for about 2 hours. In a separate bowl, wash and soak toor dal just 30 minutes . Do not soak toor dal for longer time .

2. In a mixie, First take rice and grind for 2 to 3 seconds. Sprinkle some water and grind for another few seconds. You can see the rice gets little coarse. Now to that, add toor dal, dry red chilli , salt and peanuts. Grind again. Sprinkle little water when you grind. You can also grind in batches and mix in the end. The dough should be firm and thick for making pooris. If there is excess moist in the dough , you can keep in the fridge for sometime to remove the moist.

3. Take lemon sized ball of the dough . Spread a clean cloth on the rotti plate. 


4.  Grease your hands with oil. Take a lemon sized ball and gently pat it to get a round shape and slightly thicker. 



5.  Now deep fry them in oil. When you press the poori with the ladle, it puffs and comes up.



6. Please watch the below video of vella poori making. Enjoy the pooris just plain or with any chutney of your choice !!



No comments: